Tuesday, May 28, 2013

CT Guided Core Needle Biopsy

My Back the Next Day After Dressing was Removed

That Tuesday, in Dr. N's office, she told us she was going to order a biopsy of an abdominal lymph node. Friday, my husband and I went to the hospital for our introduction to Interventional Radiology, of which we would become quite familiar. I liked the doctor I had that day and I loved the nurse. Her name was Angie. She was good with needles, which always helps, and she started an IV with no problems. While I was being prepped, the doctor came in and explained the procedure--he would be going through my back with a long needle to take a sample of an abdominal lymph node. Yikes!

Angie told me I would receive sedation consisting of Versed and Fentanyl. She said I would most likely be awake but just not care. She rolled me into the procedure room where she and a tech positioned me on the very narrow table, face down, feet towards the tube, arms stretched out over my head,  and strapped me down. Angie admonished me not to move and if my nose started itching (??) let her know and she would scratch it for me. They backed me in and out of the scanner a few times to align me for the doctor.

When the doctor came in, he proceeded to stick the needle in. I could hear it crunch and said so. He was surprised because he thought I was asleep. He told the nurse to sedate me and I was immediately asleep. When I awoke, I was on my back, on a gurney, with Angie wiping sweat from my face.

She rolled me back to the recovery room where 2 bottles of that delicious contrast liquid were waiting for me. After I drank it I was rolled away for an abdominal CT scan.

Both procedures turned out to be rather pointless and our insurance company originally balked at paying. The biopsy confirmed lymphoma but no other needed information was gleaned, such as the type and stage of the lymphoma. My first CT scan had already shown the abdominal lymph nodes.

It was only after I asked, demanded really, that I was referred to Dr. V, my Hematologist/Oncologist. My husband and I both have really appreciated our relationship with him. Much, much more about Dr. V and his wonderful nurses and staff will follow. 


No comments:

Post a Comment