Thursday, May 30, 2013

Hair

Natalie
 

Before I go into my fun with chemo, can we talk hair?

Everything I have heard and read takes the stance that chemo induced hair loss is basically a vanity issue. Though the articles are less blunt and say things like "women consider their hair their crowning glory". Then go on to talk about how much time and money women spend on hair dressers, hair products, etc. How devastating it is because women "identify" with their hair.

Yes, the looks aspect of hair loss is traumatic. (I look like my Dad!)  And, yes I have spent plenty of time and money on my hair. But that was not my greatest concern. I am a very private person. My dread of losing my hair was of being transformed into someone who must reveal to the world, through my baldness, that I have cancer. 

I didn't especially want my grocery store cashier or librarian, much less perfect strangers, to know that about me. I don't want people giving me that look.

I didn't do the head shaving party or take before, during, and after photos. Too sick to party. Too upset to want my picture taken.

I ordered a cheap wig named Natalie from the American Cancer Society catalog. It cost $48. They have some cute hats too (as well as plenty of ugly ones). Another place I ordered a few cute hats was Head Covers.

Stay tuned for much, much more about hair loss and regrowth.


No comments:

Post a Comment