Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Port-a-Cath Placement




That first day I saw Dr. V, he ordered the placement of a port-a-cath (a central venous catheter), a small device, about the size of a quarter, which looks like some kind of transmitter. It is surgically placed under the skin of the chest, then an attached catheter (tube) is threaded underneath the skin and inserted into the jugular vein in the neck. This allows infusions without the need to have an IV started in the vein each and every time. I have had chemo and other medications, blood transfusions, and blood draws for lab tests, all done through my port.





This is the device causing the bump, which is not "accessed", on my chest in the photo above. To use it, a special needle called a Huber needle is inserted into the port's septum, the silicone center of the port. When a needle is in place, the port is "accessed".  My port has been accessed for up to a week, then it has to be changed.




This is a Huber needle. The needle is inserted into the port using the little grip that looks like a clip. The padded part rests flat on the chest and the little clip is folded down like a butterfly. The whole device is taped into place. The port is now accessed and ready to use. The blue cap is removed, then syringes and other specially made catheters can be screwed into place. The clamp is used for stopping the flow while the port is still accessed but not in use or while catheters are being changed.



Here I am with my port accessed, receiving an infusion. It really is convenient because both my arms and hand are free. I can used my computer, Kindle, eat, and all the things I do, while passing the hours I sit in this recliner. 

No comments:

Post a Comment