Saturday, June 8, 2013

Hospitalization and the 9 Diagnoses

Here I am, sound asleep, receiving a blood transfusion and antibiotics.

My first chemo didn't go well. This was as bad as it would get.

Because I was so symptomatic, I was admitted to the hospital and the first R-CHOP was done there. I was discharged home on the 5th day. Four days later, I went to Dr. V's office for labs. My blood counts were very low--red, white, platelets--everything. Nothing was even close to the normal range.  And I had fever, so back to the hospital we went. Did I mention I felt miserable?

While we waited for a hospital room, I received, at Dr. V's office,  IV fluids, antibiotics, and a Neulasta shot to stimulate my bone marrow into making more white blood cells. I progressively felt worse and worse and left Dr. V's office in a wheelchair.

I remember getting to my hospital room and changing into one of their lovely gowns. I remember meeting my nurse. I remember pain setting in. I have tiny fragments of memory of several days. I remember being surprised one morning to learn that I had been in the hospital for over a week!

This is why I was hospitalized:

Neutropenic Fever
MSSA Port Infection s/p removal
SIADH
Stage III transformed Marginal Zone Lymphoma
Left pleural effusion s/p Thoracentsis
Pancytopenia
Anemia s/p PRBC transfusion
Hypophosphetemia and Hypokalemia
Deconditioning

Needless to say, we had to look up most of those words.

Things I know from my husband and his notes:

Day 1: Fever, shaking chills, temp up to 103.9; finally got hydrocodone for pain; Ativan; Clonodine after a tough round of fever with high BP and heart rate; by 1AM, vitals back to normal, temp to 100.

Day 2: (Pictured above) Hemoglobin down, transfusions ordered; Oxycodone and Morphine added for pain; 4PM CT scan and ultrasound done, more fluids, antibiotics, Albuterol for Wheeze (new today).

Day 3: Fluid in left lung, will see lung Doctor; lymph nodes shrunk somewhat; white count still way down. platelets about the same, hemoglobin up; Pulmonologist  says left lung less than 1/2 aerated; when platelets and blood count go up enough, will use needle to remove fluid from around lung and test to see if it is from the lymphoma; platelets are at 30, he wants a count of 60 to do procedure.

Day 4: Platelets 50; red cell improved; white not yet--still at 0.0; port must come out, Staph Aureus;
sodium down, limit fluids; 1 PM port removed.

Day 5: Platelets 75, still low; white count not up; sodium level 118, low, salt tablets ordered; Cipro and Unasyn ordered. Nephrologist ordered 3% sodium infusion, 100 ml. to raise sodium without adding water; kidney function good, but R is seriously retaining water and this dilates her sodium level and causes confusion, etc; water intoxication; sodium at 115; if it drops after infusion to 113 then it's off to ICU; 11PM Good News! R's sodium back to 118.

Day 6: Sodium up to 124; Platelets 123; white counts and Neutrophils up; all good news; may get PT today; may get lung procedure today or tomorrow.

Day 7: Thoracentesis done using a needle to draw off 1200 ml. fluid; fluid was bloody but no sign of infection; 1200 ml about 1/2 of fluid present but stopped due to pain and coughing from pleurisy which should subside in a few hours; 1PM chest x-ray showed normal but 02 saturation went down to 86%; got 2 lpm  02; level went quickly back up.

Day 8: Blood good; electrolytes good; sodium 124; phosphorus still low; no infection from lung fluid, will know more tomorrow; will add hydrocodone and d/c morphine; wound care nurse teaching.

Day 9 through 11, I can remember!  I started getting physical therapy; the fluid from my lung was negative for lymphoma; blood counts good. I was discharged on Day 11 with 11 prescriptions, a walker, orders for home health physical therapy, and a 1 week delay in Chemo #2.

View from my Hospital Room

No comments:

Post a Comment